I love to reminisce.
Looking back on the high school days gets harder and harder every year because it forces me to realize I’m getting older and older. Senior year homecoming spirit week was FOUR YEARS AGO. No thank you. Don’t want to think about it.
I do love to look at old pictures, though, and think about all that has changed since then. And really, all that hasn’t. I’m very lucky to say that some of my best friends in high school (some even from elementary school) are still some of my best friends today. I’m also really lucky to say that I’m slightly less awkward than I was in high school. Overall, high school was a great time, especially as a senior, and here’s why:
1. Pep rallies- I miss sitting in the gym with over a thousand other people, crammed together shoulder to shoulder, trying to out-cheer the grades around you. Oh, and I miss the fools causing problems in the front rows (aka class clowns).
2. How acceptable face paint and glitter was- Walking around school covered head to toe in glitter was never so normal as it was during any spirit week.
3. Sweatpants- Walking around school in sweatpants was also never so normal as it was in high school.
4. Warm cookies- Nothing beats the freshly baked Otis Spunkmeyer cookies at lunch (except maybe my mom’s…).
5. Spending some of the best times with some of the best people- As awesome as college is, and as wonderful as the memories are, nothing can replace my high school experience. It’s something that I’ll remember forever and will always hold a special place in my heart. I love and miss it and wouldn’t have traded it for anything else. I will forever be an Eagle at heart, regardless of if I really want to be or not.
PS- Good luck to Ike tonight in the homecoming game! And good luck to the Ike Varsity Dance Team- your alumni are proud. 🙂